Sunday 2 February 2014

Just a quickie…

Sun 2nd: Had 10:30-12-30 off work so ran up to Brevent for a quickie. They're the best right? Always leave you wanting more… skiing. Must be a few innuendos in there. Oops.

Went straight down through the trees to then off the back of Cornu. Visibility was crap. Snow was worse. 10-15cm of dusting on top of crusty moguls / debris. Could have been fun but the near 0 vis meant that you couldn’t see said moguls. Temperatures must have been too warm when the snow started falling. A real shame and a massive let down. I’m guessing GM / Le Tour / Flegere would have been better but I didn’t have time to move on.

 Decided half way down the first run I couldn’t be bothered with this as it was a work day anyway. Left Charlie and headed back home. On the way up the magic carpet the snow beneath looked OK with some nice little features. Thought I may as well have a go seeing as I’d made the considerably effort to get to Brevent. I ended up lapping the bottom 2/3rds of the POMA 5-10x.

It was good fun, although landing blind into chopped up cruddy moguls is a bit off-putting. To highlight how bad the vis was I double ejected almost straight away by driving my tips into a mound I couldn’t see above the airbag. Decided to just go for it anyway from the first lap. Managed to ride out of some pretty big blind jumps, but from time to time I wasn’t so lucky and got a face-full. As the time went on I was going faster and adding some grabs to the mix.

Had a good ski considering I had all but written the day off, glad I went through the hassle of going up. I also really enjoyed how stable the Shiros were compared to my old S7s. I could rely on the big tail when landing hard into some pretty crappy snow, something the S7s tiny pin-tail struggled with.

Remnants of the wipeouts on my face
(vis too poor to bother taking photos)

No comments:

Post a Comment