Tuesday 10 February 2015

More Aiguilles Rogues and more bloody wind...

Sun 8th: Col de Belvedere - heavily wind effected up high, slightly down low

Got up with the aim of doing Col du Passon with Bob and Alan. We arrived at GM to hear reports of much stronger wind than expected with top bin info at 9:30. Once again we called it off and headed up Flegere to have a look at Col du Belvedere. The wind was still very strong at Flegere with Floria closed so we took the low traverse. We dropped quite low to start skinning from the very bottom. The wind was in a frenzy and the changeover was a bit unpleasant.

It quickly became clear I was going to struggle on the skin. The snow had been scoured back to hard pack and I was getting virtually no grip: My skis are 119mm underfoot and my skins are cut to much smaller skis so I get very little grip. Hardly ideal. I battled up, slipping a considerable amount, forgoing the skin track in favour of the slight grip advantage on the fresh snow. It was still a lot of effort. After 300m vert we finally found less wind ravaged snow which was far easier to get traction. I still continued cutting my own track the whole way.

After 750m vert (more than usual due to us starting very low) we reached the Col. There were 5-10 people who arrived just before us and another five or so who had motored up and skied down the same side. Not wanting to be held up by the large group, a quick changeover saw us as the first party to drop over to the other side for the day. We set up a twin 30m rappel, just in case, but it wasn't necessary so I unroped and carefully side slipped in, dodging a few larger rocks. I skied down until well clear and waited for the others to follow and pack the ropes.
The snow was heavily wind effected up high, but after dropping 2-300m vert it became much better. Lower down the face saw some big turns and smiles in relatively soft powder. As we dropped lower the clouds shifted giving some great views. For the first time this season we took the right exit and it was very easy, the only major barrier being a large stream. Easiest exit I've had in the last two years. Bob and Alan stopped at the bottom for a beer and I jumped straight on the train so I could take a nap.























I have to say that I prefer the route to the Berard / Glacier Mort as the view from the climb is just breathtaking. It also get's a lot less traffic.

No comments:

Post a Comment