Monday 2 March 2015

Afternoon lap of Rognon

Weds 25th: Midi - Gros Rognon - 30cm very slightly wind affected

I was back from work in time to squeeze in a quick hot lap so I joined Charlie on his first time this season. We got up to a not too strong but biting wind, much colder than expected. In just a shell with no baselayers I was frozen by the time I'd clipped in but as soon as we got moving all was good.

Layer of frost on my face


























We dropped in high off the arête to soft powder with far less tracks than expected. We kept the pace high, stopping only to decide which part of Rognon to ski. We didn't stop again (bar the occasional 5s to point out to Charlie where it was particularly bad this year). Lovely keeping a decent pace and doing long pitches in great snow without a break. 














We arrived at the Requin hut quickly and exited via the right couloir. It had been skied but there was still plenty of good snow at the edges. A slow push - my skis were sticking - and we exited to the James Bond. Jumped 20-30 people on the boot-pack and back down in slushy conditions to Chamonix. The track is getting much rockier but was still very skiable. Good way to spend an afternoon after work, but very annoyed that I couldn't ski the morning which would've been excellent.

Winter wonderland much

No comments:

Post a Comment