Tuesday 31 March 2015

Quick Col du Floria before work

Tues 24th: Col du Floria - 15+cm fresh powder, first descent wind affected

Persuade Oskar to join me for a quick morning tour of Col du Floria before work. The cloud was shifting but for the most part we were in the baking sun. I had sweat streaming down my face, a pleasant image I know. The heat was making me feel seriously lethargic and Oskar pulled away quickly.


I cannot keep up with this bastard


























A quick transition and we set off. I traversed over to the entrance and clattered a submerged rock leaving my inside ski behind. A yell and I dug in hard with my outside ski managing to arrest the slide. I was above a big rock band and a 100m+ 40-45 degree fall. NOT cool. I composed myself, shimmied back up to my ski, clipped in and we continued.
Oskar's POV skiing the couloir - Oskar's Blog















The couloir consisted of wind affected powder and already had two tracks - very different to the snow beneath making it tricky skiing. The exit to the basin was heavily wind affected but untracked transitioning to corn.
Me skipping the traverse and skiing the central section















We took a steep skin route up to the col de Berard - skipping the endless switchbacks - much quicker. A great ski down in soft powder to the exit. Took skis off twice for rivers, skied over some rocks and grass and made it down in time for the last train before work. Good day but unfortunately being late to work was playing on my mind the whole time!





No comments:

Post a Comment