Sunday 18 January 2015

Rocks, drops and face shots at Brevent

Sun 18th: Brevent - 30-50cm fresh blower powder.

Woke up early to a glorious clear sky; game on. To my surprise every lift in the valley was open... on time. Headed up Brevent to meet Oscar. He was late as two buses went past full so I jumped in the first top bin solo. Most of the bin headed straight to Hotel face with Nicklas cutting the track. On the main ridge I opted to go skiers left. Nicklas followed me having decided against skier's right. I let him go as he put the whole track in, cutting the slope for him. It was pretty stable. I chose the couloir further left that I'd skied with Oscar the other day then downclimb over the rocks into the gully I'd done with Steve on Thursday. Fresh line the whole way down and didn't cross a track. Tons of sluff, face-shots and an epic run. Big grin and glad I didn't wait. No friends... well you know the saying.
Just a few in front...
Still get untouched all the way down

A white Chamonix from my window















































Headed up for a second time in the same couloir. I had the only track in it so still great fun. Popped up Cornu to quickly say hi to some friends. The couloir I'd skied the other day was still untouched... why not. Great at the top and below it but the couloir itself was dire. Less coverage than the other day. Really surprising. People saw the rocks I'd uncovered and it took a good two hours for another person to attempt it. I pity their skis, mine were bad enough with a two inch ridged gash creating a real drag. I had to attack it with a flathead screwdriver at the lift.
Fun line bar the middle section




















Met up with Oscar and his French friend Max. They'd already had two good laps on the bootpack far skier's left so we went up for another lap. Wicked snow and still pretty untracked. In the end we did another four runs of the bootpack choosing various different lines including one with a straightline couloir entrance. I was bricking it a bit.
Oscar and Max deciding on a route



Oscar's GoPro shot

Guy bringing his kid on the traverse...



















He was tiny... couldn't have been more than 6




























In between we did a couple of laps of the Charles Bozon face dropping off a cool wall. Big and a flat-ish landing but great fun.
Oscar dropping the wall
Me following



























By the end I was bloody knackered from 6+ traverses, 4 bootpacks and some seriously fast skiing with no breaks. I'd also hit a lot of submerged rocks. I clipped a shark-fin mid turn which completely flipped me over. Luckily I was already below the rock bands and was completely fine. My skiing had taken a dive and I'd taken some falls so I headed back with Oscar. Great day.

NB. Oscar's blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment