Sunday 11 January 2015

Rocks, falls and variable powder on a hangover

Sun 11th: Another lie in... I'm getting lazy. The storm blew itself out by 11am so Rasmus and
I headed up to GM to check out the fresh snow. Straight up Bochard and into skier's right of Lavancher. There was tons of untracked snow to be had but the depth varied hugely and was often impossible to gauge. After a few amazing turns there would be a patch of bulletproof and then another set of great turns. Still had great fun picking our way down, rock dodging and searching for the deep snow.
The Dru and the Verte en route to GM






























After another quick lap of the same we decided to take a look at the bowls below the Hearse chair. It was a combination of; deep soft powder, heavily wind crusted powder, bulletproof and rock with virtually no ability to guess which you were going to get the next turn. Still found some really good lines skier's left of the chair and a nice soft exit to the Marmottons piste.















At the bottom we waited for Lukas for a while (slacker). At this point the weather started coming in and the temperature dropped massively. Another quick lap of the hearse slightly skier's right of the chair found some really good snow... Until I clipped a rock a took a HEAVY fall onto my face in some solid snow leaving me dazed and with a little cut on my chin. Rasmus and Lukas were pretty surprised I got up so fast as it was quite a big one. Lucky not to be worse and very lucky that I didn't fall onto my already broken rib.

Figuring that the snow had been better in Lavancher we headed back up Bochard and took a line directly down the middle, dodging all the rocks on the shoulder. Fresh tracks in (mostly) good snow, despite it being pretty late. Lower down we were dropping some rocks etc when I clipped yet another shark fin rock and wiped out again... Decided that enough was enough and that I was heading down before I injured myself badly. The others stayed out for a few more.
Weather moving back in















Definitely worth going up as I had a great few hours but the rocks soured it slightly. That said with another snow fall Lavencher will be amazing. I can't wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment